2010-07-07

Public Service Announcement

Subject: Salads

It is hard to get past the idea of salads being filling and creative. When one says, "I had a salad for dinner", we immediately think lettuce, carrots, cucumbers and croutons smothered in ranch dressing. I'll admit, I was one of those people who thought salads were boring. Only for those *dieting*.

Then I started up a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) delivery to my home. Full Circle Farm* is my best friend every Wednesday. The family gets into it as well. The boy anxiously awaits to hear the truck pull up in front of house greeted by a cheerful delivery dude. We can't get that box open fast enough!

Our first salad feast was a salad bar. It was a fun dinner to create. The boy helped chop up veggies. Even had grilled chicken breast and cheese. It was a huge hit, everyone could make their own salad how they wanted it.

Isn't he a cutie?


















I've seen restaurants serve salad with fruit and wasn't sold on the idea however, our box had the most deep red plump strawberries you'd ever seen, some juicy peaches too. What the heck, I'll toss them in there. Used romaine and spinach. Oh, I know! I have some raw cashews I could pan roast. Hubby barbecued some chicken. Topped with scallions and balsamic dressing, we were in heaven.




Tonight, we got our box and again, couldn't resist making a salad! Fresh lettuce topped with plump blueberries. Caramelized onions, garlic and sundried tomatoes. Hard boiled egg and fresh mozzarella cheese with our favorite balsamic dressing.




Don't be afraid to toss ideas around, literally! Add something you don't normally put in your salad, see how you like it, then keep trying different combinations. I promise you, salad will never be boring again!

*Full Circle Farm is a family owned organic farm operating on 400+ acres, based out of Carnation, Washington. They also serve those of us in Alaska. If you are in the Washington or Alaska states, I'd give them a try! www.fullcirclefarm.com

No comments:

Post a Comment