2010-07-05

Cupcake pies

I used to be a carbo fiend. Not to say that I couldn't easily go back to the dark side. I don't want to. It is important to me to instill good healthy habits for my son. He is a 7 year old boy, he desires sweets like any other kid. I could be the good mother and bake him cookies, cakes and yummy delicious pies. There is a huge problem with this...I WOULD EAT IT ALL!! Surely, that won't do me any good to put myself in that position.

Been really good resisting the birthday cakes and other goodies at work functions but to have it taunting me in my own home is another story all together. Not fair to do that to the sweets, or to me! How can I compromise? I could buy stuff from the store and freeze it in portions. A couple of big problems. I can't pronounce most of the ingredients! We won't even mention the nutritional label! Sometimes it is a curse to have educated myself on healthier (organic) eating.

I know! I can do it myself! Oh, wait a minute. Can I? I haven't baked in years. I can just about cook anything but baking requires precision. Bah! I hate measuring and all those perfect instructions you have to follow to a T. You know, I nearly flunked Home Ec in high school due to this problem. My stuff came out yummy (even then, LOL). But you have to do it EXACTLY as the recipe book says. I nearly rebelled.

Ok, back to the cupcake pies. I found making a big pie or cobbler was just too messy to section out and freeze. If only I could make them the size of cupcakes, THAT would be a perfect portion...

Edit to add: After serving 3 for the family, I freeze the rest. They work great for a quick dessert on nights you don't feel like making dessert. You can thaw them or eat them straight out of the freezer, uhh the cat told me. *wink*



Dough:
2 cups stone ground whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup hazelnut flour
1/2 cup stone ground whole wheat flour
1 stick butter
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar

Filling:
4 apricots diced
1 apple diced
1 pint fresh blueberries
3 tablespoon rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened unrefined coconut
1 tablespoon pure vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

Note: I urge you to be creative with your filling. What fruit is in season? What do you have in your fridge? There is no such thing as a bad combo. :)

Mix all filling ingredients in a bowl, set aside. Do not refrigerate.

Mix all dry ingredients together. Add butter, blend until you get the consistency of cornmeal (since I don't have fancy smancy tools, I just use my fingers). Add water and mix carefully. Let sit in the refrigerator for minimum 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease cupcake pan.

Take a section of dough, approx.. 1 inch ball. Roll out flat, you want it to be larger than the cupcake hole. Need to accommodate the depth as well as have it stand out a bit (see photo example below). When you have all holes set with dough, add filling near the top of the hole. Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.



Should make nearly 2 dozen. That is if you don't eat about 3 cupcakes worth of dough. *looks innocent*  Um, err, the cat did it.

Click image for print friendly recipe card.




1 comment:

  1. Kathryn, thanks so much for joining Friday Potluck this week! these look tasty and delicious! If you get the time and can post a link to the party in your blog post, I would very much appreciate it :)

    Erin

    ReplyDelete