2010-07-03

Caper surprise

I love capers. Just plain love 'em. Other than having sodium in it, everything else points to the healthy side of things. Couldn't be any happier!

My son is learning to like them. Doesn't share my admiration for them (yet) but then again, he is only 7. Can't remember if I liked them or not when I was 7. There were plenty I didn't like so they could have made the list. He asked why I made this dinner with them in it, I said it was a surprise. Hence the name, Caper Surprise. He tried to resist at first. Finally, I said he could move them over to the side. After he was done, I noticed 3 little capers. Hmm, maybe they weren't so bad after all. LOL

This can be served with (brown or basmati) rice, quinoa, pasta or my favorite, lentils. So easy to cook up. Takes approx. the same amount of time as rice, maybe a wee bit longer. *wink* No presoaking needed! :)



2 pork chops cubed
1 onion sliced
1 garlic (I used 1 full head, use what is preferred in your home)
2 carrots sliced
1 large zucchini chopped small
1 (small) head cauliflower sliced
3 tablespoons capers
1 tablespoon butter (optional)
Salt & pepper to taste

1/2 cup dried lentils
1 1/4 cup water

In small saucepan add lentil beans and water (add a teaspoon salt (optional)). Bring to boil. Let broil for 5 mins, cover and let cook on low heat for 20+ mins or until tender.

While the lentils are cooking, in medium high heat, cook pork cubes in a little olive oil. When almost cooked, add garlic and onions. Cook for 10 mins stirring frequently. Lower heat to medium and add carrots and cauliflower, cook for additional 10 mins. Add zucchini until tender. Add capers and butter, cover and let simmer for 10 mins.

Click image for print friendly recipe card.

No comments:

Post a Comment