2010-07-01

Pizza and other ramblings...

I can remember growing up with a diabetic mother. Information on what you could or couldn't eat back then was so sketchy. I wish I could find a time machine, go back and yell at my mother for not taking better care of herself. Can't blame her 100% for not understanding the disease but at the same time, she is at least 50% responsible in seeking the information.

I remember when I was first diagnosed. I knew what was expected and naturally, I didn't like it. I. LOVE. FOOD! Saw a flash of my future and didn't like it. My doctor was scared for me due to my dangerously high sugar readings. I just got mad. Mad at myself, mad at my husband, mad at my parents, mad at the mailman...just plain mad.

One of the comfort foods I was mourning most was pizza. The greasy cheese and pepperoni glistening in the light. *sniff* The aroma of freshly delivered pizza fills the room. *ahhhh* Ok, maybe I am being a little dramatic about this.

Diabetic or not, pizza is a no-go zone when it comes to *dieting*. Took me nearly 2 years to find something acceptable to serve my family (meaning it didn't taste like crap).

While this is still on the high end of carbs, it is far healthier than take-out/delivery. I make it once every couple of weeks. We can't stand the taste of regular pizza anymore.

I want to talk about flour. It's a diabetics/dieters enemy. It doesn't play fair. LOL After much research, stone-ground whole wheat flour is a godsend. You will see it listed in all my recipes that would call for flour. You are more than welcome to change it to whatever you want, but know the results will not be the same nor will the health benefits.



Dough:
2  1/2 cup   Stone ground whole wheat flour**
2 teaspoons    yeast
1 teaspoon   salt
1 tablespoon    raw  honey
1/4 cup    olive oil
1 tablespoon   sesame seeds (optional)
2 tablespoons   rolled oats (optional)
       (not quick cooking kind)
1 1/4 cup  tap hot water

I like to get messy, I use my hands to mix the ingredients together. You want the dough to be slightly moist. Use more flour or water depending to achieve the right texture. Roll into a ball and rest into a lightly oiled bowl, cover tightly. Let sit for a minimum of an hour.

Knead until you have a nice glossy dough. Usually takes approx. 3-5 minutes. Whole wheat dough is more fragile than regular dough. With practice, it will become more natural to work with. Don't fret things in the beginning. If you've never worked with whole wheat flour before, you'll likely to screw it up. If it does start breaking, promise me you'll laugh at yourself. Darn it, that lady did say this would happen! Just smush it back together and try again.

A lightly oiled (pam works good) cookie sheet (I use a old large sheet, a well seasoned stone will work nicely, too), carefully knead the dough to the edges of the pan. I find that it helps if your fingers have a little oil on them while stretching the dough, makes it more pliable.

Bake in preheated 400 degree oven for 5 mins. Take out of oven, add your toppings. Insert back into the oven for 10-15 mins. Edges of dough will be toasted.

Toppings:
Family favorite: slivered onions, olives, chopped fresh spinach and/or basil, colby & mozzarella cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. We do not use a tomato based sauce. It's a personal preference. Feel free to add sauce or try it without. Be adventurous. Mix your toppings.

**When I have it stocked in my freezer, often times I will use a cup of Bob's Red Mill rye flour (+ 1 1/2 cup stone ground whole wheat flour). Gives a wonderful robust flavor. Doesn't taste like *rye*, just a stronger flavor.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE homemade pizza!!... I love it more when Hubby makes it- dough makes me nervous. Even though he is insistent my anxious made crust is always better. That dough sound really amazing we will have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love experimenting with toppings on homemade pizzas. Last week we did one with spinach, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, garlic, red onion, sundried tomatoes, mozzarella and fresh parmesan. It was amazing. I need to get brave and make my own crust one of these days. I've been getting the low carb or greek pitas to make individual pizzas as the boys love creating their own.

    ReplyDelete