2010-07-20

Not your grandma's meatballs

Stuck by my own motto tonight; Take chances, make mistakes, get messy. I did exactly that! My poor family had no idea that I had a surprise in store for them. Standing quietly in the background, waiting for the first bite to be taken.

The boy: Since serving kale chips with the meatballs, I expected that to vanish before the meatballs could even get a glance at but surprisingly, the boy took a bite of the meatballs. Next thing I know, he is inhaling the meatballs requesting more. Said they were very terrible. I should put them on my blog thing. :o) Gotta love that kid!

The husband: As I expected the boy to do, the husband made up for. Half the kale chips were gone before taking a bite of one of the balls. Poked at the ball a bit. He wasn't sure if it was cooked all the way since it was so tender. Once he determined it was cooked, the balls were devoured. Also, requesting more.

This goes against what we were taught in how to make meatballs. Trust me on this one. Please? I promise you, it is nothing like you've ever had before. The most flavorful and tender ball you ever have in your mouth (those with dirty minds...save it for the bedroom! LOL).



1 cup cooked and smashed sweet potato/yam
1 pound ground pork
1/2 head garlic chopped fine
2 tablespoon whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon ground flax
1 tablespoon raw apple cider
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together well. I get messy and do it with my hand. If you have a fancy mixer, you can use that. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 mins. Make meatball shapes and cook at medium heat until fully cooked. Approx 15-20 mins.

Serve with your choice in side dish. Since kale chips is a family favorite, I served it with that.

I appreciate feedback, feel free to leave a comment. Don't be afraid to ask questions, either!

Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. Those sounds yummy! I am really enjoying your blog!

    Holly (hollydawn from losob)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so good.... I printed out the recipes to try tonight & sent your link to my sisters. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds yummy! I wonder if you could substitute lentils or chickpeas for a veggie version? I'm off to get some curly kale to make these chips you mention. They sound like something I may become addicted to! (pluie from losob)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would definitely give them a try, Cathy! Let me know how it goes. I'm curious now. :)

    ReplyDelete