2010-08-31

Banana nut bread

I'm in the mood for something sweet and the cupboards are nearly bare. Looked at various recipes for banana bread and all the recipes called for things I don't have. Frustrated, I stormed off to the kitchen and started throwing stuff in a bowl. I'll be damned if I can't have banana bread! I'll just make it with what I do have.

Will admit, held my breath while it was cooking. Smelled good though. Felt like I was on a reality show as I awaited for the boys to sink their teeth into the warm dark banana bread. Eyes got wide, smile surfaced. Both expressed it was very VERY yummy...no, no...it is oh-so TERRIBLE! (wink) Finally, I took my first bite. Nice and sweet but not too sweet. Banana and walnuts offered a subtle flavor, not overpowering. Dense and dark but not doughy or hockey puck worthy.

I've been instructed by the 7 year old to put a slice in his lunch tomorrow. :o)

In other words, I lucked out! Now, let's see if I can remember the recipe. Remember, I was a bit miffed while whipping this up!



2.5 cups stone ground whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup turbinado sugar
1 banana chopped fine
1/2 cup walnuts chopped
1/4 cup sesame seeds
2/3 stick butter slightly melted
1 cup warm water

Mix all ingredients. Consistency should be gloppy. Add tablespoon of warm water at a time as needed to create the right consistency.

Pour into greased bread pan.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for approx. 1 hour.

1 comment: