2010-08-06

Breakfast for dinner

This is truly a childhood comfort meal for me. Fond memories of my mother making those yummy Bisquik pancakes slathered in I-can't-believe-it's-not-butter (margarine) and drenched in Ms Butterworths syrup. Served with greasy eggs, potatoes, bacon, ham and those cute little Jimmy Dean sausages. And don't forget those Pillsbury crescent rolls!

Just thinking about that meal is making me bloat! Ha!

It is a chilly evening tonight. Been in the mid 50's and rainy. This weather has me craving for breakfast for dinner. I try to make it about once a month. It is not the healthiest but I strive to make it healthier than my childhood breakfasts. I believe my son will carry on the tradition when he grows up. Not sure that is likely to happen though...the growing up part. LOL

This is what we enjoyed tonight by the warm fire (yes, we had a fire in the middle of summer!).



Scrambled eggs:
6 eggs (room temperature)
3 spoonfuls of plain yogurt
preferred spices

Mix well, cook medium high. I like to add a little ghee to the pan.

Bacon:
1/4 to 1/2 pound bacon
fresh ground pepper

Rather than spend extra money for peppered bacon, I have the easiest solution. Add your own pepper! LOL I add mine one time on top right after I put them in the pan to cook. My son loves this! (we buy our bacon from a local butcher, thicker than store bought but not too thick)

Sweet Potatoes:
1 large sweet potato or yam
1/2 onion sliced
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon raw honey

Cook potatoes until almost tender, add onions, cook until translucent. Turn off heat, add remaining ingredients. Mix well.

Add fresh fruit of your choice. Tonight I had peaches from our CSA box. :o)

Sometimes instead of sweet potatoes, we may have oatmeal with flax, coconut and walnuts.

1 comment:

  1. I had a mix of beet, kale and turnip greens for dinner. We went to Pyrahs Pick your own today. It was GREAT.

    ReplyDelete