2010-08-25

Chugach Chili

Even though the weather didn't call for chili, the family has been craving it. My husband has been on a warpath in search for unique spice blends. It sort of started with me complaining with other people posting photos of their cupboards and many of them were jam packed full of various spices...even in the refrigerator!

We had a tough obstacle to overcome... low funds. Spices are expensive!! The husband was determined, scouted out our favorite local spice store's website (www.summitspiceandtea.com). Being the math nerd he is, figured out how much this and that would cost. Even made the 3.5 mile trek there to stock our cupboards with some spices, plus, we were out of our old chili mix. (A great excuse to try something new!) I think the 7 miles round trip was worth it, I made some kick ass chili!

First, check out the beautiful spice collection. Total came out to around 15-17 bucks. Can you spot my favorite? *laughs* Yes, that would be my 2 ounces of Garam Masala (universal)!! The Chugach Chili Blend is what was added to the chili tonight. Look at that deep mole/red color! So flavorful without too much spice. I think I will add a bit more next time now that I am aware of how hot the spice blend is.



In honor of the blend, I've decided to call this chili: Chugach Chili



1 pound ground meat (I used pork tonight)
1 onion chopped
3 Anaheim peppers chopped
1 can organic diced tomatoes
1 can olives chopped
1/4 cup non-cooked wild rice 
3 cups soaked beans (used kidney and black beans) May use canned beans.
3 cups water (may need more)
3 tablespoon Chugach Chili Blend (more or less due to preference)
6 ounces beer (I prefer dark bitter beers)

Brown ground meat, when almost done add Chugach Chili Blend, mix well. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, simmer for 2 hours until rice and beans are soft.

Add toppings! Cheese, sour cream, chopped onions, cilantro, avocado, the list goes on forever!

*Be sure to soak your beans either the night before or first thing in the morning. They cook better and shorter if you presoak them first.



1 comment: