2010-08-24

Wild wild rice!

I have this coworker who goes on and on about how glorious Minnesota is. The Mall of America, the best corn cob, the best of . LOL I let it slide because he is a good kid and works hard.

He had the nerve to take a vacation (snort) and I covered for him while he was gone. Naturally, little speed bumps here and there but nothing my 20 years of experience couldn't handle. The whippersnapper was having a blast at, yes...you guessed it, Mall of America. I can picture him as I do my 7 year old son running around, screaming off the top of his lungs...I LOVE THIS PLACE!! Ahh, to be young again.

Bless his heart, he brought back food for me. Coworkers like to rib me for my alternative eating lifestyle and my recycling fetish. I'm thankful they put up with me. Anyways, the-mall-of-america fan said he could have brought me a mug back but figured I would appreciate this more, he was right. Minnesota grown wild rice. He swears this is the best stuff...ever! I was excited and grateful but will admit, a sceptic. 



The last time I had wild rice was ages ago. From what I remember, it tasted like dirt. *laughs hard* I kid you not! Thought I liked it growing up. Can't give up the opportunity to try something new, especially the best stuff on this planet! I bet he would go as far as the universe even!! *wink*

Well, I kid you not, he was not joking! It was unbelievably delicious. My boys (son and husband) were very disappointed I did not cook the whole bag. Talk about the sad puppy dog eyes they gave me when I said there were none leftover for seconds. (whispers) I lied, there was just enough for me to take to work for lunch the next day. Promise me you won't tell!! Pinky swear?!




2 chicken breast cubed
1 head cabbage
1/2 sliced onion
1/2 head garlic chopped large
1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
1 tablespoon tarragon
1 teaspoon salt (optional)

1/2 cup wild rice
1 1/2 cup water
smidge of salt
1 teaspoon butter (optional)

Wild rice takes a long time to cook. Be sure to prepare the rice before cooking the main meal. Add rice and water, bring water to boil. Cover and simmer for 55 minutes (when you have 15 minutes remaining, start on main course). Add salt and butter. Turn heat off, keep covered until rest of meal is ready to serve.

Cook chicken until pink, add onions and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent. Add paprika, tarragon and salt. Mix well, add cabbage. Let simmer for an additional 15 minutes.


1 comment: