2010-08-09

Walnut crusted halibut with Caribbean black beans

So, the husband takes out halibut from our fun fishing trip. Since I do not eat seafood (I try! Maybe I have an allergy? It comes back up immediately...where are my manners! I'll come back to this theory another day.)

Again, since I don't eat seafood, I left it up to my husband to prepare it. I'll make the side (main to me) dish. Sounds fair...right? Ha! He looked up recipes on the web. Easy...right? Ha! Guess he hasn't checked the cupboards lately, getting a bit bare and naturally, everything he is coming up with has a multitude of ingredients required. Ha again! We are even out of butter. Yep, a fridge with no butter. Insane, I tell you!

I have to hand it to him. He did find a half package of saltine crackers. Um, dear? I think we got those when we moved here last year. Oh shh! It's crackers, it is fine! Why don't you take a bite then. After a small bite. This man, who can just about stomach anything, started to make morphing faces. Uh huh, you sure you want to put that on your fish?

I gave up. Couldn't resist. Snuck off to the kitchen, grabbed a bowl and started crushing, stirring, pouring. Took a nibble and had to resist the urge to devour the bowl and pretend nothing ever happened in the kitchen. If it was just for the husband, I would have eaten it but since my firstborn needed to eat dinner, I couldn't deprive him of a proper meal. Gave the husband a taste. How the hell did you come up with that? *shakes head* He doesn't understand me. (nor will he EVA! *evil cackle*)

I do have to give him some due credit. He did add an extra ingredient that I think worked well. I'll disclose what that ingredient is shortly. Meanwhile, I encourage you to try this. You can even use this crust for other meats as well. I didn't have any meat out for me so I was more than happy with the vegetarian side I prepared to accompany the boys halibut (caught by me!).




1 halibut filet (rinse and pat dry)

Crust:
1/4 cup walnuts crushed
1 tablespoon coconut flakes shredded (unsweetened)
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon crushed oatmeal (not the instant kind)
salt and pepper
1 tablespoon mayo (the husbands ingredient)

Mix well and coat top of halibut filet. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for approx 25 mins.

Caribbean black beans:
1 small head cauliflower sliced
1/2 onion sliced
3 cloves garlic sliced
1 1/2 cup black beans (soaked and cooked, or you can cheat and use a can)
1 mango cubed
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Cook cauliflower, onions and garlic for approx. 15 mins on medium heat. Add black beans, cook an additional 5 mins or until beans are warm. Turn off heat, add mango.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment