2010-06-28

Cinnamon Rolls

Once a week, I try to make something sweet. Not just for myself, but for the family. Being a diabetic, I have to be vigilant about what goes into the dessert so I can partake in the weekly *dessert* festivities! This sounds much more dramatic than it really is. /sarcasm

I'm more of a cook than a baker. I love a good challenge so I set out to make a (semi) healthy version of cinnamon rolls. The results came out much better than I planned despite losing the first batch to the floor thanks to a tussle with the cooling rack. As much as I enjoy cooking, I don't like to have to spend the day in the kitchen making one single dish. I'm too impatient for that. Most of my recipes are easy and quick.

I have found what works best in baking desserts is to do small batches. I reserve half for the freezer for another week. So far, this has worked well.


*disclaimer: Remember, I do not have formal measuring cups/spoons so all measurements are approximate. I try hard to give as accurate number as possible.

Filling:
2/3 cup    turbinado sugar (raw sugar)
1 teaspoon   cinnamon (I use pampered chef's blend)
1 teaspoon   pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup   chopped nuts (I used walnuts, but pecans or no nuts is fine too)
1/3 stick  softened butter


Mix all ingredients together, set aside.


Dough:
1 tablespoon    raw honey
1/2 teaspoon   salt
2/3 cup   warm water
2 teaspoons    yeast (I use Bob's Red Mill)

1 cup   whole wheat flour
2/3 cup   whole wheat pastry flour (can use whole wheat flour instead)
2/3 cup   hazelnut flour


Mix first 4 ingredients together, let sit for a few minutes. Enough to quickly check for any new statuses on facebook/twitter/etc. Serious, I know. *wink*

Add the remaining ingredients. You may need to add additional flour or water to get a nice firm dough. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to set in the refrigerator for approximately 30 minutes. Just enough time to take a quick nap. This is hard work! (be sure to toss some flour onto your face so others think you are working in a strenuous manner!)

Have a good nap? Time to turn the oven on to 350 degrees. 

Get the dough out of the refrigerator. Give it a good punch and kneed for a couple of minutes making sure all the ingredients are well mixed. Cut dough in half. If you have a big fancy counter, you can leave it as one piece. I have a little cutting board to work with. Roll out dough into a rectangle, leaving it about a 1/4 inch thick. Take half the filling mixture and spread evenly over the dough. Carefully take one end and start rolling the dough over the mixture. Cut into 1 inch slices and lay onto a greased cookie sheet/baking dish. Let it sit for another 30 minutes before putting into the oven. Bake for approx. 30 minutes.

Should be golden brown. Perfect individual sizes so it is hard to over indulge, that is if you don't eat the entire batch yourself. Ha!

Remember, take chances, make mistakes, get messy. :o)

Click to view print friendly version.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to snag this recipe; thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yippee! I have been slobbering over your facebook posts for so long and now I get to finally have recipes!!!! this is awesome Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete